Columbia Asia Hospitals, has a dedicated Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, with a team which practices evidence based medicine and uses internationally accepted protocols.
Obstetricians are available round the clock and handle high risk pregnancies with the support of extremely well trained, experienced nurses and intensive care unit with all the required equipment and support staff. A pediatrician is present for all deliveries to handle any new born emergency. Expectant fathers are allowed to be part of the normal delivery process when appropriate.
The Obstetrics and Gynecology department at Columbia Asia Hospitals, offers a special pregnancy support program called Columbia Venus that allows the mother to enjoy the experience of childbirth, while everything else is taken care of by the experts right from pre-conception counseling, antenatal care to post-natal services. In addition, the specialized birthing centres provide a comfortable environment with easy access to contemporary infrastructure.
Treatments and Procedures
- Contraceptive services
- Medical Termination of Pregnancy services
- Reproductive endocrinology (hormonal defects) and infertility
- Pain management for labour and delivery
- Care of the pregnant woman: comprehensive pre-natal care, exclusive labour suites, 24 hr surgical capability and anesthesia support, complete maternal and fetal monitoring , immediate access to Neonatal ICU, etc.
- High risk pregnancy including diabetes in pregnancy, pre-eclampsia and hypertensive disorder, previous or recurrent pregnancy loss, preterm labor and delivery, pregnancy with cardiac and any medical disorder
- Multidisciplinary care if needed in associated cardiac, mental, renal and general medical problems.
- Multi-disciplinary care for co management of high risk pregnancies with endocrinologist, physician, anesthetist, ultra sonologist, etc
- Management of dysfunctional uterine bleeding and other menstrual disorders
- Management of polycystic ovarian disease, fibroids and endometriosis
- Minimally invasive hysterectomy (removal of uterus)
- Laparoscopic assisted tubal anastomosis, reversal of tubectomy, ligation/sterilization and diagnosis and treatment of ectopic pregnancy
- Screening for cervical cancers and surgery for cancers of the female reproductive system
- Evaluation and management of endocrine disorders (eg: prolactin, thyroid).
Hysteroscopy is done for diagnostic purposes including taking samples of tissue for a biopsy. It is also used to confirm results of other tests like hysterosaphingography, which is a dye test to check the uterus and fallopian tubes. It may also be done to find the cause of severe cramping or repeated miscarriages.
This is done to treat the condition detected during a diagnostic hysteroscopy. Hysteroscopy is done for the following:
- Fibroid removal
- Polyps removal
- Septal resection is the removal of a congenital septum inside the uterus
- Endometrial resection for abnormal bleeding, where endometrial ablation is done with a hysteroscope to destroy the endometrium
- Cannulation for proximal tubal block
- Removal of Copper T which cannot be removed through the cervix
- Adhesiolysis is done for adhesions also called Asherman's syndrome, which are bands of scar tissue inside the uterus, which can cause infertility and problems with menstrual flow
Benefits of Hysteroscopy
- Quicker recovery
- Shorter hospital stay
- Less medication required after surgery
- Avoiding open surgery or hysterectomy