The Department of Neurosurgery at Columbia Asia Hospitals, has a team of highly qualified and experienced Neurosurgeons specializing in all types of neurosurgery for comprehensive management of diseases and disorders of the brain, spinal cord and peripheral nerves. The department aims at excellence in neurosurgical care through practice of evidence based medicine and treatment according to international protocols.
The consultants in the department have the expertise in various aspects of modern neurosurgery including trauma care, cerebrovascular surgery, interventional neuroradiology, endoscopic neurosurgery, minimally invasive neurosurgery and stereotactic neurosurgery. Comprehensive neuro-trauma services are available round the clock to provide emergency care for patients needing surgical and ICU management of head and spinal injuries.
Skull base surgeries are done as a multi-specialty surgical exercise which requires a team approach and is offered for surgical excision of skull base tumors, cranio facial resection and CSF (Cerebrospinal fluid) leak repair. The team also performs functional neurosurgical procedures like epilepsy surgery and surgery for relief of chronic pain.
Treatments and Procedures
- Cerebrovascular surgery for carotid endarterectomy, cerebral aneurysms and arterio venous malformation (AVM)
- Skull base surgery
- Interventional neuroradiology like coiling of aneurysm, AVM embolization diagnostic angiograms and intraoperative angiograms
- Trauma surgeries
- Laparoscopic surgeries or endoscopic surgeries
- Stereotactic neurosurgery
- Pituitary surgery
Interventional neurosurgery / endovascular neurosurgery
Neurosurgeons at Columbia Asia Hospitals have a team of highly qualified and experienced neurosurgeons who specialise in interventional neurosurgery / endovascular neurosurgery. The services are available for both adult and paediatric patients. We aim at excellence in care through the practice of evidence-based medicine and treatment according to international protocols. The consultants performing these procedures are trained in some of the best institutes across the globe.
Diseases which can be treated by endovascular technique
- Aneurysm coiling: standard coiling, stent-assisted coiling, balloon-assisted coiling, flow diverters
- Acute stroke management: intra-arterial tPA injection, use of mechanical clot retrievers(solitaire system, merci system, penumbra system)
- AVM management: glue injection of the AVM / onyx injection of the AVM
- Carotid artery stenting: standard carotid stenting, stenting with distal protection device, angioplasty of the carotid arteries
- Vertebral artery stenosis: angioplasty, stenting
- Intracranial arterial occlusion: arterial angioplasty, angioplasty and stenting procedures
- Embolisation of dural arteriovenous fistulas
- Carotico-cavernous fistula management
- Management of vasospasm
- Balloon occlusion test for carotid occlusions
- Tumour embolisations: meningiomas, nasopharyngeal angiofibroma, haemangiomas, head and neck tumours, glomus jugularae
- Head and neck vascular malformations: venous angioma of the face, mandibular vascular malformations, maxillary vascular malformations, orbital vascular malformations
- Embolisation for epistaxis (nasal bleeding)
- Deep venous thrombosis management: intravenous tPA instillation, mechanical extraction of clots
- Spinal cord vascular malformations and fistulas
- Spinal tumours embolisations
- Management of vascular trauma: dissections, transections of vessels
- WADA test (intra carotid sodium amobarbital procedure)
- Inferior petrosal sinus sampling for Cushings's syndrome diagnosis