The Head & Neck Surgery team at the CK Birla Hospital for Women provides surgical treatment to patients suffering from diseases and tumours of head and neck. Our surgeons diagnose and manage diseases and tumours of the sinuses, larynx (voice box), oral cavity, and upper pharynx (mouth and throat), as well as structures of the neck and face.
India has the largest number of Oral (Mouth) Cancer patients, due to rampant tobacco chewing. Oral Cancer is described as cancer occurring in Buccal (cheek), tongue, floor of the mouth, jawbone and palate. In most cases, the formation of oral cancer is preceded by certain changes like difficulty in opening of the mouth, white or red coloured patches and/or presence of ulcers that do not respond to conventional treatment. The most effective treatment route for oral cancer is surgery.
Our head & neck surgical oncologists work closely with other medical specialists and medical oncologists to treat patients. The surgeons follow a minimally invasive approach wherever possible. They also specialise in facial reconstruction. The goal of their treatment is to not just eradicate cancer but ensure little or no change in appearance, speech, swallowing function to minimise the effect on quality of life of the patient.
Oral Cancer Treatment
- Prevention and Early detection
- Removal of pre-malignant lesions like Erythroplakia and Leukoplakia
- Trismus surgery for increasing mouth opening in patients suffering OSMF (Oral Submucous Fibrosis)
- Oral Cancer Resection which includes removal of primary cancer along with neck nodes
The type of reconstructive surgery depends on the extent of defect created after the removal of primary tumor:
- For small volume defects – primary closure / local flap or tissue transfer can be done
- For medium volume defects – may include removal of bone, pedicled tissue Transfer (flap) or microvascular tissue transfer in form of Radial Artery Forearm free flap RAFF) / Fibular Free Flap / Alt Free Flap/ Illac Crest Free Tissue transfer
- For Advanced Oral cancers – which fungate through the skin, involve the masseteric or pterygoid space, and reach the skull base are also operated to give patients a reasonable chance of cure. The reconstructions are usually done by double flaps
- Trans oral removal of Oropharyngeal tumors which includes posterior part of the tongue, tonsil, lateral and posterior pharyngeal wall
- Sleep apnea surgery for intractable sleep apnea not amenable to conservative therapy
Surgery for cancers of voice box (Larynx or supraglottic) inform Total Laryngectomy or partial laryngectomy / Laryngo pharyngectomy
Thyroid cancers, Thyroid nodules, Coloid Goitre, Hashimoto's or other auto immune thyroiditis.
Salivary Gland Tumors
Parotid, Submandibular and sublingual gland swellings or tumor surgery, expertise in facial nerve preservation and reconstruction in case of involvement. Minor salivary gland cancer resections
Surgical resection for recurrent cancers of Oral cavity, oropharynx and laryngopharyngeal cancers or tumors.
Paraganglioma/ carotid body tumor (Chemodectoma) and other neck tumor surgery
Surgery for Advanced orbital tumors or recurrent orbital tumors. Eye Lid Reconstructions