Orthopedic surgery is a field of surgery whose objective is to solve various disorders of the skeletal and locomotor system (or decrease its symptoms). The problems it treats can affect the bones, cartilaginous structures or joints. Orthopedic care includes the diagnosis, treatment, rehabilitation and prevention of injuries and diseases in the musculoskeletal system of the body. The musculoskeletal system consists ofbones, muscles,ligaments, tendons, and nerves that provide support and stability, and help in the movement of the body and its parts.
Orthopedic treatments may include surgical and non-surgical methods. Orthopaedics surgery hospitals in India helps people suffering from musculoskeletal disorders to return to their normal lives and who may have pain-free activities.
What diseases does an orthopedic surgeon treat?
The competence of an orthopedics surgery hospitals in India extends to the following acute and chronic diseases and pathologies of the musculoskeletal system:
· Deformations of the osteoarticular apparatus of the spine and lower extremities (spinal osteochondrosis, scoliosis, spondylolisthesis, valgus and varus deformities of the lower extremities, flat feet, calcaneal spur, etc.).
· Joint diseases: arthritis and arthrosis (rheumatoid, post-traumatic, dysplastic, etc.)
· Tendon diseases (epicondylitis, styloiditis, etc.).
· Inflammatory diseases of soft tissue structures (bursitis, etc.)
· Aseptic necrosis (femoral heads, femoral condyles, etc.)
· Benign tumors and tumor-like diseases (giant cell tumors, osteoid osteomas, chondromas, fibromas, bone-cartilage exostoses, fibrous dysplasia, bone cysts of various origins, etc.).
· The consequences and complications of injuries (delayed healing of fractures, limb deformities, false joints, contractures.)
Visit and medical treatment
Your orthopedic surgeon will take a history of your illness or injury and perform a physical exam. This can be followed by diagnostic studies, such as blood tests or X-rays or CT scans / MRIs.
Depending on the diagnosis, the surgeon develops the best treatment plan so that he can lead a functional and active life.
Orthopedic surgeons treat various musculoskeletal conditions without surgery through the use of exercises, medications and other rehabilitation or alternative therapies.
For most orthopedic injuries and diseases, there is more than one form of treatment. The orthopedic surgeon may recommend the option of surgical treatment in cases where non-surgical options do not help.
Orthopedic surgeons perform various types of surgeries. The common procedures are:
· Arthroscopy: A procedure that uses special cameras and orthopedic equipment to visualize, diagnose and treat problems within a joint.
· Fusion: A "welding" process by which bones are fused with internal devices (such as metal rods) and bone grafts to heal in a single solid bone.
· Internal fixation: A method to keep broken bone pieces in a suitable place with metal plates, pins or bone screws while the bone is healing.
· Joint replacement (partial, total and revision): When a damaged or arthritic joint is removed and replaced by an artificial joint called a prosthesis.
· Osteotomy: The correction of bone deformity by cutting and repositioning the bone.
· Soft tissue repair: Repair of soft tissues, such as torn ligaments or tendons.